Until last Wednesday I could proudly say that I have never gone off on a complete stranger. Especially an old man/stranger. Last Wednesday our Bible Study decided to go Peach Picking at Strawberry Acres. There were five mom's present but I supposedly had it easy because I only had one child. Unfortunately I had gone running at 5:15am and then taught at the YMCA at 8:30. Seth came with me to the Y and therefore missed his a.m. nap. By the time we got to the orchard at 10:30 we had already had a full day. I wasn't expecting it to be so hot and was wearing jean capris and I had my hair down. I was irritated immediately when I stepped out of my car. It was hot and Seth was whining because he wanted to see the goats. He had a stinky diaper which he didn't want me to change so he was throwing a fit on the back seat of the car. If picking fruit at this farm wasn't one of my favorite local activities I would've headed home. I should've just gone home, but I didn't. Instead I headed out with my group of friends. We rode a topless bus out to the peach picking area and Seth squirmed and whined. He didn't want to stay on my lap. Once we got out to the farm I thought Seth would love picking the peaches but I was wrong. He was so tired that he just kept screaming and crying "bus bus bus". He neither wanted to be held nor put down so finally I let him throw a screaming fit in the grass while I picked a box full of peaches. When I heard the bus coming back for us I led Seth through the trees and back to the line of people waiting to get on. I was holding Seth in my left arm, a bag over my right sholder and a heavy box of peaches in my right hand. Seth squirmed out of my arms and ran right in the direction of the bus. I was fuming by now and put my box of peaches down and then stumbled over it trying to grab him. This old man in the line said "You need to watch where you are going". Without hesitation I looked up at him, irate that he had the nerve to say that to me in my state! I said "YOU ARE RUDE! I am trying to hold a kid in one arm, a box of peaches and a bag in the other arm and you have the nerve to tell me to watch were I am going!" The old codger said "Well peaches are flying everywhere". Actually, one peach had fallen out of my box when I stumbled over it but I put it back in. He then said "You are just trying to be first on the bus" (What??? How old is he I thought!) I said "Actually, I am trying to catch my child so that he doesn't get hit by the bus!" Then a nice lady in line offered to hold my peaches and help me on the bus! My legs and arms were shaking. I had never gone off on a complete stranger before. I felt horrible. I felt like I had no control over my emotions. As soon as we paid for the peaches we went home. I called Mike to confess and he was actually proud of me. He said that he was glad I stood up to a grumpy rude old man. It made me feel a little better but just as Mike had to get off of the phone I felt the urge to cry. I was still hurt and angry. I called Kristin (my cousin) and vented to her. By the time I got off the phone with her Seth was asleep in the back seat and I felt better. Some days are like that I guess. The next day was much better.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment