CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Adventures in Juicing

Tomorrow marks the two month anniversary of our morning juicing ritual. Green Juice; Shreck Juice; Sploosh; Energy Juice...whatever you want to call it-we drink it! I was originally inspired to juice by my mother who has been faithfully juicing to keep her body in an alkeline state to help fight her cancer. Two months ago I went to the Library and pulled as many diet/nutrition books off the shelf as I could. I'm sick of yo-yo dieting when in reality I know I'm addicted to sugar and white flour. I came across a few great books: "The Raw Food Detox Diet" and "The Great Physicians RX" which both have helped Mike and me become healthier eaters. We began by eating only raw whole foods for about 2 weeks. Then we started eating 75% raw meaning that we ate only raw whole foods for breakfast and lunch and then had a cooked whole food meal for dinner. Mike and I remember going to a relatives cook out and having a hot dog (not on the plan) after 2 weeks of eating raw. We thought we had never tasted a better hot dog in our lives! Now after 2 months we have made juicing a lifestyle. At approx. $3 a glass this expensive energy drink is well worth it. The pure fresh water from the vegetables and the nutrients and minerals have honestly given us tons of energy and drinking this mixture motivates us to eat healthier throughout the day. I still love and eat too much chocolate so this is not to boast that I've become a health nut or anything. I'm enjoying this experience and am hoping to become a healthier person in the process.

OUR FAVORITE RECIPE
1 Large Cucumber
1 Granny Smith Apple
5 Whole Organic Carrots
3 Whole Sticks of Celery
7 Large Collard Green or Kale Leaves
1 Bunch of Parsley


One batch makes approximately four cups (2 servings) of juice.


The juicer is Seth's very own Shape Sorter. He loves pushing the veggies into the slot.


This juicer was given to us. It it very quick to juice and easy to clean. We love it. Once everything has been juiced, stir it all together and...

ENJOY!!! (Tips for Beginners: Shake well and frequently; Don't smell it!; Add an ice cube or two to keep it cold and thin it out; Concentrate on how great it is for your body and how every ingredient is made by God! The last sip is the hardest because it is very grainy. Drink it quickly and don't think about it!)

1 comments:

Katie said...

You guys are brave! We usually stick to juicing carrots with apples - but the green leafy stuff...the boys would gag. Oh, wait, so would I.
Does cookie dough count as raw food???